Thursday, April 10, 2008

marmalade cake

The end of this March my friend of highschool classmate sent me her marmalade in the Ziploc bag by EMS( Express Mail service). This was made from natsu orange(extremely sour!!) in her garden. It was excellent marmalade, such a full of fresh orange taste and nice bitterness, and clear orange color .... I am looking forward to having her marmalade next year again, please send me.
I love marmalade. I reminded the marmalade cake my mother made,when I was young. I wanted to have one so I baked it.




for 6inches x 10inches baking pan

3 cups flour (1 1/2 cup white and 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour )
1 tablespoon baking powder(aluminum-free)
1 1/2 teaspoon egg replacer
1/2 cup Earth Balance, margarine
1 cup sugar,Florida Crysatals, or less ( I used 2/3 cup)
7 tablespoons soy milk,or more or less, depends on your flour combination ratio
1 cup home made marmalade, if you use commercial one reduce the amount.


Combine the flour, baking powder, and egg replacer, and shift.
In a bowl, put the margarine and sugar, use stand mixer to mix until creamy, add 4 table spoons of soy milk, continue to whisk until airely.
Add flour mixture to the creamy mixture, mix until wet sand like texture. Add remaining soy milk 1table spoon at a time to form a dough that gathers into a ball.
Put dough in the plastic bag and chill for 1hour.

preheat oven 350F

Divide the dough in half. Take one of them, roll out on the lightly floured surface to fit your baking pan, and replace on the bottom of the pan. Take another dough and roll out, 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 1/2 wide to make long strips. Pour the marmalade over the first dough in the pan and spread evenly. Over the marmalade, use long strips to weave a basket pattern. Bake 30 minutes or cake cake tester come out clear.

for marmalade
This is the simplest way, because use whole orange.
I used 2 minneola orange, cut quarter lengthwise, and cut into thin slices. Soak in the water (double amount of sliced orange ) and let stand 3 hours, put on the heat and simmer 30 minutes, add sugar ( 50% of orange weight) and keep simmering until liquid reduced and become nice consistency.

No comments: