Monday, October 15, 2007

red beet-apple salad

Beets were not popular vegetable in Japan, when I was there. So I may ate but had never cooked beets while I lived in Japan. Living in NYC, still I did not want to buy beets to cook. I did not care for beets due to its strong earthy flavor when cook. So when I signed up for Community Supportive Agriculture program, un-utilized beets took over the vegetable bin in my refrigerator. I started choosing recipe for beets and cooking beets. I found several nice beets recipe and now beets and I became a very good friend. This salad is one of them and was a ice breaker. Fresh beets and apples create powerful, pungent, refreshing taste. I got this recipe from: "Vegetables First" by Louise Frazier (Roxbury Farm news letter,0ct.24,2005)




Louise wrote:
"Red beets-apple salad has always been a favorite and is especially welcome when weather cools and lettuce leaves. Combine an equal number of beets finely grated with apples coarsely grated, toss with splash of lemon juice + fresh ginger or anise seeds for flavor. This salad can be made ahead and refrigerated --- leftovers for 2-3days--- or made into soup."

I used Benriner Japanese Mandolin to shred beets(with angel hair blade)and apples(with Julienne blade). Splash plenty of lemon juice and I prefer ginger for flavor.

No comments: