Friday, December 14, 2007

dal

Dal is the thick spicy stew..... nothing like today's my photo. I would like to have dal and also I would like a soup today. So without focus on what I am cooking, I added too much water to make soupy-dal. This dal recipe is very simple and tasty. I learned this recipe from my friend's(Indian)aunt.

serves 2-3

1 cup orange lentil(dal)
2 cups water, or more
1 small onion, very thin sliced
1 small piece ginger, grated
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
salt to taste
fresh coriander, chopped



1 In a medium sauce pan combine the lentils, turmeric, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook, whisking several time to puree dal, adjust the amount of water to make desire consistency.

2 While the lentils are cooking, heat oil in a skillet, over medium heat and saute onion, until onion becomes light brown.

3 When the lentils are done, mix in ginger, cumin, and sauteed onion, salt to taste, and before serving, add fresh coriander.


No comments: